The long anticipated update to FHWA GEC 10 Drilled Shafts: Construction Procedures and Design Methods has finally been released by FHWA, The same team that authored the major update in 2010 that shifted design from ASD to LRFD also completed this update: Dr. Dan Brown, P.E., D.GE, and Dr. John Turner, P.E., D.GE of DBA, Dr. Erik Loehr, P.E. of the University of Missouri and DBA, and Mr. Ray Castelli, P.E. of WSP.
This version is an update of the 2010 publication. A complete list of changes made since 2010 is in the opening chapter. Some of the revisions include:
- streamlining materials covered in other GEC publications (for example, site investigation and lateral loading) to focus on aspects particular or unique to drilled shafts;
- updates to reflect the evolution of construction procedures, tooling, materials, drilling fluids, and concrete placement;
- updated design equations for axial loading, particularly for earthquake loading;
- updated group design to reflect recent changes to AASHTO design guidelines;
- updates on integrity testing (including use of Thermal Integrity Profiling, or TIP); and,
- an outline for a process for assessment and acceptance of drilled shafts based on inspection records and integrity tests.
You can download the new PDF here. The PDF posted is “preliminary” with some minor formatting and other items to be cleaned up by the fall.